English  |  سۆرانی  |  بادینی            

Two ‘terrorist’ networks captured involved in Sadr City bombing

  2021-07-25  | 
 Zhyan News Network
A member of the Iraqi federal police forces stands guard at a checkpoint in a street in the capital, Baghdad, on Jan. 29, 2021, during tightened security measures. Photo by AHMAD AL-RUBAYE/AFP via Getty Images
 Zhyan News Network


SULAIMANI – Iraq’s Security Media Cell said on Saturday (July 24) that the security forces arrested members of two “terrorist “networks in Kirkuk and Anbar governorates responsible for a bomb blast last week in a popular market  in Baghdad’s Sadr City that left dozens dead and wounded.

Over 30 people were killed and 50 wounded in a suicide bombing blast occurred in al-Wahilat bazaar as the attack was claimed by Islamic State (ISIS) later on its official media outlets on Telegram. 

The ISIS elements also responsible for other “terrorist” acts against security forces and civilians, the cell said.

Despite its territorial fall in December 2017 and intermittent security operations, there has been an uptick in attacks and bomb blast by ISIS militants in Iraq, more notably in the borderlands in Anbar and Nineveh and the disputed areas in Kirkuk, Saladin and Diyala governorates claimed by Erbil and Baghdad.

Two ISIS elements in Anbar and another Saladin were arrested by the security forces on Saturday. 

(Zhyan English)