English  |  سۆرانی  |  بادینی            

Over 1,500 civilians evacuated from 22 villages fearing Turkey's assault: CPT

  2021-06-03  | 
 Zhyan News Network
Turkish artillery shelling in a mountainous region of the Kurdistan Region.
 Zhyan News Network


SULAIMANI – More than 1,500 civilians have evacuated from 22 villages fearing Turkey’s assault against suspected positions of the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) since April 23, said Christian Peacemaker Teams on Thursday (June 3).

During its fresh operation of “Claw-Lightning,” Turkey has erected four new military bases on the mountain range where Kesta and Hirure are located in Duhok governorate, Christian Peacemaker Teams said in a report.

“Thousands of dunams of land and approximately 1,300 beehives have been destroyed, all of which are crucial resources for families. Turkey’s bombings not only threaten the livelihood of families, but also their lives.”

According to the report, a project which supplied water to the residents of the village of Adne between Kesta and Kani Masi, was destroyed in a Turkish bombardment displacing 12 families.

“Four civilians have so far been injured by Turkey’s bombardments, and more than 1,500 civilians from 22 villages have evacuated their villages to escape Turkey’s assault.”

Since April 23, Turkey has started an operation against the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) in Duhok’s border areas and erected at least four new military bases adding up to almost forty others in the Kurdistan Region.


Turkey’s airstrike and shelling are almost a daily recurrence in the Kurdistan Region, more notably in the border areas. It launches cross-border operations every now and then.

(Zhyan English)