English  |  سۆرانی  |  بادینی            

PKK says rejected ceasefire offered by Erdogan

  2021-06-11  | 
 Zhyan News Network
Murat Karayılan, senior official of the PKK, speaks during an interview with Reuters in the Qandil mountains on March 24, 2013. (Reuters Photo)
 Zhyan News Network


SULAIMANI – A member of the PKK executive committee Murat Karayilan said his party has rejected a ceasefire agreement which was proposed by Ankara to end their conflict in Turkey amid a flare-up of intra-Kurdish tensions.

According to Karayilan the offer was made by Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan in an aim to incite a war between the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) and Kurdistan Democratic Party (KDP).

The KDP, which is the largest party in the Kurdistan Region and main component of the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG), enjoys cordial economic relations with Turkey and is at odds with the PKK.

Relations between the KDP and PKK has deteriorated after the death of six Peshmerga in two separate incidents and amid intensified Turkish ground and aerial attacks in the Kurdistan Region’s border areas.

KDP accused PKK of being behind the killing of six Peshmerga. The PKK, however, denied it and blamed Turkey of being behind it to encourage intra-Kurdish tensions.

“A few months ago Erdogan asked us, via some friends, to announce a ceasefire in Turkey,” Murat Karayilan, said in an interview aired on Sterk TV on Thursday (June 9). “He [Erdogan] said whatever you do in the other parts of Kurdistan, will not be our business.”

Since March 23, Turkey has started an operation against the PKK in Duhok’s border areas and erected several new military bases.

“This is a game by the enemy, we have to be aware about this enemy’s game. The Turkish state has always deceived the Kurds and uses them against each other,” Karayilan added.

The PKK senior official said the offer, which he disclosed for the first time in his interview, was made in secret and he wanted to inform KDP leader Masoud Barzani about it.

Four civilians have so far been wounded by Turkey’s bombardments and more than 1,500 civilians from 22 villages have evacuated their villages to escape Turkey’s assault, according to Christian Peacemaker Teams- Iraqi Kurdistan (CPT-IK).

Since May 2020, Turkey has constructed 81 kilometers of new roads in Duhok’s northern Zakho and Amedi that can be liked with increased logging of trees. These roads are likely used in the Turkish military campaign against the PKK, Wim Zwijnenburg from the PAX, a war monitor, tweeted.

(Zhyan English)