English  |  سۆرانی  |  بادینی            

Our forces have no responsibility to Sidakan landmine blast: HPG

  2021-03-13  | 
 Zhyan News Network
Undated photo of Tariq Qadr who was killed in a landmine explosion in Erbil’s Sidakan aeea, Kurdistan Region, Iraq, March 12,2021. Photo courtesy of social media
 Zhyan News Network


SULAIMANI –  The People's Defense Forces (HPG) Media Office said on Saturday (March 13) that its forces  have nothing to do and have no responsibility to a landmine explosion occurred in Erbil’s Sidakan district on Friday. 

The HPG is the military wing of the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK). 

On March 12, a Peshmerga member affiliated with the ruling Kurdistan Democratic Party (KDP) was killed and another was wounded when a landmine explosion went off in Bradost area. The media outlets aligned with the KDP accused the PKK of emplacing the landmine.

The explosion happened in an area previously peppered with landmines, HPG said in a statement.

According to the PKK affiliate, some places in the area were mined against attacks by Turkey in 2019 and 2020.

“Both the people of the region and the KDP officials in the region were informed by our forces that this area was a mined military area, and the necessary warnings were made before,” it said.

“However, although all these issues were known on March 12, KDP forces entered the mined area and as a result, a deplorable incident took place.”

PKK has taken up arms against the Turkish authorities for Kurdish rights in the country since 1978.

PKK and KDP are at odds over many issues, as the latter enjoys cordial relations with Turkey.

(Zhyan English)