English  |  سۆرانی  |  بادینی            

Erbil drone attack due to security vacuum with federal army

  2021-04-20  | 
 Zhyan News Network
File Photo - Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) Minister of Interior Rebar Ahmad- File
 Zhyan News Network


SULAIMANI – Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) Minister of Interior Rebar Ahmad said on Tuesday (April 20) that the security vacuum between the Peshmerga and the Iraqi army had laid a favorable ground for shadow armed groups to launch attack against Erbil.

On April 14, a TNT-drone  exploded near a base housing the US troops adjacent to the Erbil airport without causing casualties. 

Spokesperson for the US-led Coalition Colonel Wayne Marotto told AFP that the drone landed on a storage hanger at the airport.

This was the third aerial attack in the Kurdistan Region’s capital following rocket attacks on Erbil by Iran in January and another in February that killed US-led coalition contractor.

“The attack on Erbil airport done by a drone was to target the Coalition forces in the airport,” Ahmad said at a news airport. “Talks have been made with the Coalition to do a work that the [Kurdistan] Region not be victimized in Iraq’ conflicts.” 

Ahmad attributed Erbil’s vulnerability to such attacks to the security vacuum between the defense lines of Peshmerga and the federal army in southern Erbil. 

“The attackers came behind the defense lines of the Iraqi army and nobody has been arrested in connection of the attack so far.," he said. “The vacuum between the Peshmerga and Iraqi army has created a favorable ground for the armed groups, thus we are in talks with the federal government in order that the groups will not profit the vacuum."

On April 16, US, Britain, Germany, Italy and France denounced the rocket attack, stating such attacks “will not be tolerated.”

Regarding a woman killed four days ago by her husband and at least two brothers in Erbil. 

“He has not arrested and fled to outside Erbil. Arrest warrant has been issued for him,” he said.

(Zhyan English)