SULAIMANI – Three electricity maintenance workers were wounded on Tuesday (April 27) after an improvised explosive device (IED) exploded in a disclosed area in Kani Mase sub-district in northern Duhok governorate, a source said.
On Monday, electricity went out in over 70 villages in the district due to clashes between the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) and the Turkish army. Electricity has not returned as of reporting the news article.
“We sent a team to the area to repair the broken lines, but a mine went off wounding three electricity personnel in Kani Mase sub-district,” a source from Duhok General Electricity Directorate, anonymously told Zhyan News Network.
The injured were taken to a hospital in Duhok, he added.
The Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) Ministry of Electricity said that
one of its employees and two civilians were wounded after a 22-member maintenance team was dispatched to the affected areas.
Witnesses told Zhyan News Network that two missiles were fired at a base reportedly belonging to Turkey’s National Intelligence Organization (MIT) in Siriey communities from Gara Moutaiun where the PKK forces are active in Shiladze district. There were no reported casualties.
On Friday, Turkey launched a cross-border
land and air operation codenamed Operation Claw-Lightning and Claw-Thunderbolt in PKK-controlled Duhok’s Avasin, Metina and Zap areas in northern Duhok governorate.
On Monday, the PKK military wing People's Defense Forces (HPG) claimed it had killed over 38 Turkish soldiers
over the past few days, while the Turkish defense ministry claimed it
had neatralized 37 PKK members, a term used by Turkey to mean killed, wounded and arrested.
Turkey has so far said three of its soldiers have been killed.
Zhyan News Network could not independently affirm the the actual number of the casualties.
No civilians casualties have been reported so far since the new Turkish push began, but at least thirteen civilians were killed in the Turkish airstrikes in Ankara’s previously cross-border operation.
On Sunday, Christian Peacemaker Teams (CPT), a nonprofit working on human rights abuses in the Kurdistan Region, said that 60 families had been displaced from their homes in Kani Mase in the first day of the Turkish operation.
Turkey’s airstrike and shelling are almost a daily recurrence in the Kurdistan Region, more notably in the border areas.
Cross-border land and air violations by Turkey has trippled on a daily average since 2017, according to records submitted by Iraq to the UN Security Council (UNSC).
Both Iraqi Government and the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) have called on Turkey and PKK to take their fight to somewhere else.
Since July 20, 2015, the conflict between Turkish security forces and the PKK has claimed more than
5,311 lives on both sides in Turkey and the Kurdistan Region, including 541 civilians, 1,279 Turkish state security members, 226 individuals of unknown affiliation and 3,265 PKK members, according to the latest data by the Belgium-based International Crisis Group.
Based in the Region’s mountainous areas, PKK has taken up arms against the Turkish authorities since 1978 for Kurdish rights in the country.
*This story was updated at 03:09 pm EBL on Tuesday (April 27)