English  |  سۆرانی  |  بادینی            

Kurdish teenager 'tortured' to death in Istanbul

  2021-04-29  | 
 Zhyan News Network
17-year-old Kadir Aktar, who reportedly found dead in a correctional facility in Istanbul, Turkey on February 19,2021. Photo by Stockholm Center for Freedom (SCF) – Graphic By Zhyan News Network
 Zhyan News Network

SULAIMNANI – A Kurdish teenage boy was reportedly tortured to death in a juvenile prison in July 2020, according to parliamentary queries presented by main opposition Republican People's Party (CHP) deputy Ali Haydar Hakverdi.

On Tuesday (April 27), Hakverdi presented a series of parliamentary questions inquiring about reports that 17-year-old Kadir Aktar was regularly tortured and eventually killed in Maltepe Juvenile Detention Center, in Istanbul according to Duvar English. 

Aktar was apprehended last year for in connection to the murder of a policeman. He was released on February 16 but was detained the same night on unspecified charges. Aktar’s family was told he had hanged himself and died on February 19, according to Stockholm Center for Freedom (SCF). 

His’s death a day after his second detention raised eyebrows in his family's mind about the manner surrounding his death, especially because he appeared visibly battered in court when his attorney saw him following his statement about the second set of charges against him.

The correctional facility administration said that it found him dead in his cell in an apparent suicide, but a preliminary autopsy of his body revealed internal bleeding in his forearms and lower legs, his attorney Ahmet Atalay said. 

A DVD submitted to court  two months after the incident took place containing recordings of the final hours of teenager boy has turned out to be damaged, increasing suspicions, the Evrensel daily reported.

The correctional facility’s administration said that Aktar was found dead in his cell in an apparent suicide, but a preliminary autopsy of his body disclosed internal bleeding in his forearms and lower leg, Atalay said.

His sister said after his first detention that his brother had been "pressured, battered and forced to take pills" during his seven months in the correctional facility, and his family found out after his release that he was taken to hospital some 23 times in the same period of time. 

"These visits were filed under 'general check-ups, suspicious illnesses and psychiatric consultations, but his family didn't know about them until after he died," Hakverdi noted. 

"The hospital report says that Aktar was 'battered, hit, kicked, twisted and bitten or scratched by another person,'" Hakverdi said. 

The minor would have served five months at the most on the charges of his second detention, Hakverdi noted, adding that an investigation should be conducted into "why a 17-year-old would or was made to commit suicide in this case."

(Zhyan English)