English  |  سۆرانی  |  بادینی            

Travel ban to, from Iran extended until May 21, says official

  2021-05-06  | 
 Zhyan News Network
File Photo - A view of Bashmakh border crossing in the Kurdistan Region near Iran
 Zhyan News Network


SULAIMANI – Bashmakh International Border Community Directorate said on Wednesday (April 5) that travel ban to and from Iran will continue until May 21. 

On February 25, Iran halted travel to and from Iraq including the Kurdistan Region through the border crossings to combat exponential surges in COVID-19 cases in the country. Since then, the travel ban has been extended several times.

The ban excludes those who carry COVID-19, investment and commercial visas, students in the Iranian universities and those who have Iranian residencies, Imsail Ali Agha, the head of media and relations department at the border point, said. 

On Wednesday, Iran’s Health Ministry Spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said that the COVID-19 cases had increased by 15,872 new to 2,591,609 infections, while the death toll has risen by 349 to 73,568, according to the Iranian state-owned Fars News Agency. 

Lari also said that 2,039,427coronavirus patients have recovered or been discharged from hospitals so far.

Kurdistan Region logged 777 new coronavirus cases, seven new deaths, and 997 recoveries in almost the same timespan. 

Overall, there have been 154,359 officially logged cases since the start of the pandemic in March 2020. Out of that, 132,241 have recovered and 4,075 have died.

(Zhyan English)