English  |  سۆرانی  |  بادینی            

Two villages vacated in less than five days in Duhok’s Kani Masi

  2021-05-09  | 
 Zhyan News Network
Columns of smoke rise after Turkish army shelled mountainous areas in Zinar Kesta village in Kani Masi subdistrict, Duhok,May 4, 2021. Photo by Mehvan Mecid/ Zhyan News Network
 Zhyan News Network


SULAIMANI – Residents of Chaklke village in Duhok’s Kani Masi sub-district fled their homes amid fears of ongoing Turkey’s artillery fire and airstrikes against Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) positions nearby their village.

The village was vacated late on Saturday night (May 9), after part of residents departed from it in the evening.  Zinar Kesta village adjacent to Chalke was also vacated on Tuesday.

Mukhtar (village chief) Yukhana Ku told Zhyan News Network that the peripheries of the village had been bombed and shelled over the past two days.

The village contained nineteen homes. 

The vacation is at a time when Turkey has started an operation against Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) members in Duhok’s border areas over two weeks ago and erected at least four new military bases adding up to almost forty others in the Kurdistan Region. 


Zinar Kesta village vacated amid Turkey’y airstrikes and shelling in Duhok’s Amedi district, May 4, April 9,2021.  Photo by Mehvan Mecid/ Zhyan News Network

PKK has started an armed struggle for Kurdish cultural rights against the Turkish authorities since 1984. It is headquartered in the Kurdistan Region’s mountainous areas. 

Earlier on Saturday, a resident in Chalke told Zhyan that at least the Turkish army shelled fifteen mortar shells at the PKK bases in the mountainous areas in Zinar Kesta village.

During the same day, Mawat District Mayor Kamaran Hassan told Zhyan News Network that the Turkish fighter jets bombed Asos mountain in Khiroli Kani Kner and Kalki Shelanan in the peripheries of Galala village. 


Zinar Kesta village vacated amid Turkey’y airstrikes and shelling in Duhok’s Amedi district, May 4,April 9,2021.  Photo by Mehvan Mecid/ Zhyan News Network


Turkey’s airstrike and shelling are almost a daily recurrence in the Kurdistan Region, more notably in the border areas. It launches cross-border operations every now and then.

No civilian casualties have been reported so far since the new Turkish push began, but at least thirteen civilians were killed in the Turkish airstrikes in Ankara’s previous cross-border operation in 2020. 

Cross-border land and air violations by Turkey has tripled on a daily average since 2017, according to records submitted by Iraq to the UN Security Council (UNSC).

Since July 20, 2015, the conflict between Turkish security forces and the PKK has claimed more than 5,311 lives on both sides in Turkey and the Kurdistan Region, including 541 civilians, 1,279 Turkish state security members, 226 individuals of unknown affiliation and 3,265 PKK members, according to the latest data by the Belgium-based International Crisis Group.

(Zhyan English)